0 km – Antoniusbuche
A huge beech tree used to stand at this point with an altar dedicated to St. Anthony at its foot. The tree stood to the left of the race circuit and was felled in 1935 to make room for the new B 258 road.
3 km – Hocheichen
Mighty oak forests stood here before the circuit was built, some of which had to be felled.
4 km – Flugplatz
Former airfield for gliders that used to be located to the left of the race circuit.
5 km – Schwedenkreuz
Hans Friedrich Datenberg, a former mayor of Kehlberg and tax collector for Adenau, was hijacked and slain at this point in 1638 by stray Swedish soldiers. The 2.90 m cross still exists.
6 km – Fuchsröhre
Construction work on the Nordschleife came to a temporary halt here. A flushed fox holed up in a drain pipe. The construction workers spontaneously gave this section of the track its current name.
7 – 8 km – Metzgesfeld
Name of a field entered in the cadastral register. The owner of the fields at this location was a certain Mertges.
8 km – Kallenhard
This section was on a wooded hill called Hart. But the hill itself only contained bushes and heathland –> « kalt und kahl » (cold and bare). Hence the name « Kallenhard ».
8 – 9 km – Wehrseifen
« Seifen » is the Celtic word for valley. What’s more, the valley used to accommodate an exercise ground for the militia. The « Wehrseifen » was a sort of border between the rulers of Adenau and those of Breidscheid. In former times there even used to be a boundary stone here.
9 km – Ex-Mühle
This used to be the location of a mill outside (« ex ») Adenau. This was the originally planned site for the start/finish line. But the mill owner refused to provide the necessary plots of land. The bend is also often called the « Junek Bend » after Victor Junek, who was killed in an accident here in 1928.
11 km – Bergwerk
A lead and sliver mine was in operation here up until around 1900, but was then closed because it no longer produced enough material.
12 km – Kesselchen
The name came about during the construction work because the circuit at this point passes through a basin (German: « Talkessel »).
13 km – Klostertal
Is the section between Kesselchen and Karussell. There was an Order of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem here in the 14th century. A recluse monk lived her in the 18th century who helped those in need.
13 km – Steilstrecke
The « Steilstrecke » (steep section), that would pass straight through the forest along the section of track of the same name, was originally built for automobile tests. An up to 27 % incline at that time was a real test of strength for vehicles, some allegedly even flipped over backwards. The well-kept steep section, which is no longer in use, is crossed by visitors heading for the Caracciola-Karussell.
13 – 14 km – Carraciola-Karussell
A banked carousel as part of the circuit that was paved in 1932. It was named after the famous racing driver Rudolf Caracciola (1901-1959).
14 – 15 km – Hohe Acht
The hill of the same name, at 746 metres the highest point in the Eifel, can be found here near the race circuit.
15 km – Hedwigshöhe
Takes its name from the first name of the wife of the Landrat (district administrator) Dr. Creutz, the spiritual godfather of the Nürburgring. She enjoyed the view from this point while her husband was on the construction site.
15 km – Wippermann
Named after the way the cars bobbed up and down on this section of the track, particularly before it was changed to make it less dangerous.
15 – 16 km – Eschbach
A stream of the same name and the village of Herresbach-Eschbach give it is name. A larger number of ash trees used to stand here too.
16 km – Brünnchen
A headwater area. Around the turn of the century a number of irrigation lines ran from here to the municipality of Herschbroich.
17 km – Pflanzgarten
This used to be the site of gardens and crop growing fields of the Earls of Nürburg.
17 km – Stefan-Bellof-S
Named after the race driver Stefan Bellof, who on 28 May 1983 lapped the Nordschleife with an average speed of over 200 km / h and a time of 6:11,13 minutes during the practice for the 1000-km race. To date, the record, which he set up in the Porsche 956 007 is unbroken. In addition Bellof survived at this point a serious accident in which the car was completely destroyed without injuries.
18 km – Schwalbenschwanz
The planning engineers came up with this name. This section of the circuit looks like the end of a swallow’s tail in a bird’s eye view.
18 – 19 km – Galgenkopf
This was the former site of the gallows where the Earls of Nürburg held their public executions.